The start of every week brings something new to look forward to in the world of Westchester Knicks basketball. Here are five things to know about your #DubKnicks for the week of March 6, 2017.
- Weekend Recap: The Knicks’ longest stretch of road games this season began last Friday. In its first two matchups of the current five game road trip, Westchester came up short. The Knicks were handed a pair of losses to the Fort Wayne Mad Ants and the Canton Charge. Fort Wayne pulled off a 106-95 win, and Canton owned a final score of 120-112. After the losses, Westchester drops to 16-23 on the season. The Knicks currently remain in third place in the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference and sit 7.5 games back against the division-leading Maine Red Claws.
- Top Performers: Despite the losses, the Knicks received some superb performances over the weekend. On Friday, four of Westchester’s five starters scored in double digits. Keith Wright led the pack with 16 points and 13 rebounds. The matchup against Canton was a full-fledged shootout. John Jenkins led all scorers across both teams with 31 points, nailing five of his eight shots from beyond the arc. Jenkins also hauled in 11 total rebounds.
- Instant Impact: Travis Trice II appeared in 49 games for Westchester last season as an integral part in securing a playoff berth, as he averaged 15.3 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 5.7 assists. After being reacquired last week, Friday marked his first game back with the Knicks since last season. His impact on the team was immediately recognizable as he scored 14 points while dishing out four assists. Trice followed up Friday with an even stronger performance on Sunday. In the loss to Canton, Trice dropped 18 points and grabbed five rebounds.
- A New Addition: On Thursday March, 2, Westchester announced that it had traded its 2017 NBA D-League Draft second round pick in exchange for forward Nikola Jovanovic from the Grand Rapids Drive. Jovanovic appeared in 24 games for Grand Rapids this season, averaging 9.5 points and 7.1 rebounds over 17.4 minutes. Jovanovic was held scoreless in his debut game with the Knicks, but managed to grab three rebounds in his eight minutes of play. In his second game against Canton, Jovanovic earned 11 points and three rebounds over 14 minutes.
- The Road Trip Continued: Westchester will hit the road for two games this week against its division leader, the Maine Red Claws. The first clash will be on Thursday, with the second coming on Sunday. The Knicks are 1-1 in its previous two matchups against Maine this season. Westchester had its best defensive performance of the season against the Red Claws on January 10, holding its division rival to only 78 points.